Friday, November 25, 2011

Those moments

For the last month or so, I've been working on a series of shorts called "Stiltskin." I don't wanna give too much away, but it's a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin with a sort of modern twist/edge to it. I'm writing episode five right now, and I'm always amazed how sometimes things just come together in the most perfect way to create something even better than you set out to write.

I'd like to re-post it here, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it to maintain formatting. I'll have to try again tomorrow, because for tonight I'm spent.

Happy Thanksgiving.


Update: Since I've figured out the way to post Screenplay content, properly formatted, I'm going to share the segment I wrote last night for the "Stiltskin" series. Again, from Episode five. Some context: Diandra is the Miller's Daughter charged by the King with spinning straw into gold.

Screenplay

int. castle - day

A long red carpet and candelabra decorate the stone floor and walls of the King's throne room. The King sits in his massive throne at the end of the room.

Standing before the king are two women in serf's clothing, fraying at the edges and splitting at the hems. One has longer blond hair, this is JILLIAN. The other woman sports a styled Ivy-League haircut, held in place with product. She is JACQUELINE.

Both have bandages wrapped around their heads.

Jillian

You see, your majesty. When Jacqueline fell down and broke her crown, I lost my balance and went tumbling after.

The King nods and rubs his chin.

jacqueline

But because we're not "married" I'm not covered by Jill's HMO.

king

Is that the preferred term? HMO?

Jacqueline and Jillian look at each other, confused and annoyed. The Prince enters the throne room, pulling Diandra by the wrist.

Jillian

What Jacquie's trying to say is that because we can't be married, we're burdened with unfair medical bills.

prince

Dad! Diandra and I need to get married.

The King turns to the Diandra.

king

To marry my son, you must first be able to feel the presence of a pea beneath a mattress. It is the royal test of true love!

prince

No, dad! I got her pregnant.

The King recoils in shock.

King

Then you must be married immediately!

Jacqueline's jaw drops and she SCOFFS in anger.

JACQUELINE

So they get to marry just because he knocked her up, but we're in love and we can't get health coverage?

The King turns to Jacqueline.

king

(re:Jillian)

So get her pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment