Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Opera, Gears of War, and Google

This morning I woke up with a song in my head. I couldn't remember what it was, but I knew how one part of it went, and I knew it sounded operatic. So I searched youtube for Pavarotti. Within a few minutes, I was listening to the exact song that I'd been needing. I feel like this is the true power of the internet. It frees us from having to ask our friends, "what's the name of that song that goes..." If you know only a few words of a song, Google will happily provide you with the rest of the words, where to buy the song, and, depending on your filter settings, a photo of a naked woman.

The song I'd been looking for was Con Te Partiro. I'd heard Bocelli sing a parody of it to Elmo on Sesame Street in an attempt to turn children into public broadcasting opera snobs at an early age. There's something resonant about the song though, and not just due to gorgeous acoustics. It feels like one of those songs that Gears of War would use in their premiere trailer. It has the same hint of sadness to it that past Gears of War trailers have had. 

When I listen to it, I think of someone saying a final good-bye before going off to an unavoidable fate. Real third-act tragedy shit. It also makes me wish I could sing. Or at least have voice that would afford me the chance to rock a serious late 70's cut like Bocelli.



No comments:

Post a Comment