Sunday, January 15, 2012

I've been in LA for almost a month now. So far I've seen three "celebrities." My first encounter was on my third day. I went to see the a show hosted by Jimmy Pardo at UCB theater. Pardo does warm up for Conan. In the audience that night was Labamba. It was a huge moment for me. That was Labamba. Labamba sat a few feet from me for a show. My mind was blown.

The next encounter was seeing Eugene Mirman while driving. He was walking with some lady. He was wearing a t-shirt and looked like any other schlub on the street.

Today, Zach Woods came to the store I work at. I saw him for about a second and a half.

Oh, he plays Gabe on The Office. I'm starting to realize that my definition of celebrity may be a little loose.

I was taking a stack of empty boxes to the baler and I heard a voice I'd heard before. It was weird. I recognized it, but not immediately. I turned my head and I saw him talking to someone else.

The dude is tall. Really tall.

I realized who he was. Then I baled some cardboard. But I've been thinking about it for the rest of the day. I'm still adjusting to the fact that actors on television are also people in real life. That's when I realized that I divide reality and television. And I think that's probably a healthy response.

But there is a reality that exists in television. It is a world that is entirely distant from my own. It doesn't exist within the real world that I experience. But elements of it are real. Zach Woods is a person and he bought some orange juice today.

It's still weird to see people that you see on television in your own world. There he is, existing in my life. This is my world, but there he is, from another fucking, planet buying juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment